June 13, 1863, Second Battle of Winchester Begins
After the Battle of Brandy Station, June 9, 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee ordered his II Corps, Army of Northern Virginia, under Gen. Ewell, to clear the northern Shenandoah Valley of Federal opposition. Ewell’s columns converged on Winchester’s garrison commanded by Gen. Milroy. Instead of retreating in the face of superior numbers, Milroy determined to make a stand in the supposedly strong fortifications west and north of town. There was fighting on the afternoon of June 13, but the next day the Confederate Louisiana Brigade captured the West Fort leaving Milroy in an untenable position. After dark, Milroy abandoned his remaining entrenchments in an attempt to retreat to Charles Town. Confederate Gen. Edward “Allegheny” Johnson’s division marched at night and before daylight of the 15th cut off Milroy’s retreat just north of Winchester at Stephenson’s Depot. More than 2,500 Federals surrendered.